The Concept

admin
Site Admin

The Concept

Unread post by admin »

ENTIKey is optimized in several ways:
- the most common digraphs like CH, OF, SH, SCH, EN, ER, RE ... are easy to type without using the same finger twice
- the letters E,N,T and I are on both sides, but on the left side they are not on the home-row to enable faster typing using both hands.
- The 'R' is moved one key left from QWERT, to optimize digraphs, but the Keys A,S and D are kept in their already perfect position.
- The Keys X, and V are kept on the bottom row, near the CTRl Key, cause they are usual Hotkeys the other keys C and Z are still easy to reach with one hand, but they had to move to make place for more frequent letters
- E,N,T and i are mirrored to I,T,N and E because it is easyier for the brain to use the same Fingers for the same letters.

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Concept

Unread post by admin »

here is a list of common digraphs:
http://www.xpertkeyboard.com/sequence.htm

The dominant factor in typing speed is use of opposite hands for key sequences

with ENTI-key++, it is also as fast, typing pairs only with your right hand, cause the right hand stays in the standard position.

Most Frequent Key Sequences in English (40% of all keys struck):
these key pairs (with x) are types with opposite hands or right hand:
ER 4,9% x
TH 4,5% x
EH 3,5% x
OU 2,9%
AN 2,8% x
IN 2,7% x
OT 2,6% x
IT 2,2% x
AH 2,0%
EN 2,0% x
OR 2,0%
ET 2,0% x
AT 2,0% x
EV 1,8% x
OY 1,7%
ES 1,7% x

altogether 32,70% of these 40%
(only 8,60% are typed only with your left hand)

admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

and in german:
ER x
EN x
CH
DE x
EI x
IN x
TE x
IE x
GE
ND x
UN x
BE x

so only CH and GE are not optimized, but CH is also very fast to type if you use the middlefinger for the "H"

Frankvl

Unread post by Frankvl »

Just a thought, maybe it would be beneficial if the keyboard layout was dynamic, and the tap sequence determined a character sequence independent of the individual keys. In other words, a recognised gesture on its own; let me illustrate that:

let's say this is a keyboard:

_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _

and the sequence is indicated by nrs; then you could so something like this:

_ _ _ _
_ 3 2 1 == frequent sequence "xyz"
_ _ _ _

_ 3 _ _
_ _ 2 1 == frequent sequence "abc", i.e. not sharing the first 2 letters
_ _ _ _

_ _ 2 1
_ 3 _ _ == frequent sequence "er", i.e. not having the same nr between chars & strokes
_ _ _ _

This would of course require custom software and would take years to be accepted by a larger public, if at all.

The speed of these taps makes it distinguishable from the normal keys (which are still usable as usual), especially if the normal keys under such a sequence are rarely used in that particular combination and that particular order, and will thus not be typed as quickly, avoiding recognition errors.

You could also bring certain keystrokes under 1 key, e.g. click 1 key and 'ER' is inserted, although I think that would require too many sacrifices for the normal use of single characters. However, a gesture could also indicate a single character, e.g. you could have a complex sequences to access rare symbols (aided by visual feedback ofcourse), so some keys can be freed up for more frequent uses.

Couldn't find anything on google about this subject, unfortunately. Might require new, special learning methods, but I think it can be practical in the end.

ENTI is a nice layout btw! I did adjust some keys to make it easier to transition from qwerty though, at least temporarily. More importantly, I do not have the key that is used for 'x' on my laptop keyboard (my left shift is larger), so I had to change it anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

sounds like a steno-keyboard....
or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velotype

so you changed the original ENTIkey Layout?

what exactly did you change?

can you post it here? maybe someone else needs your changes too...